Monday, February 20, 2006

Daily Errorcode

From today on, I'm starting a new tradition. Every time I get an error, I'll post it here and also try to include the solution. Today's error was the "double-Duh type". Read on and you'll get it.


I wanted to do a little backup of my Win desktop's 10gR2 and it gave me the ORA-19809.
Searched a bit and Paul M. answered in the OTN forums:

Flashback Recovery and RMAN are independent from each other, but if you activate Flashback Recovery you'll need more space in Flash Recovery area, because of Flashback logs.

To avoid ORA-19809 you have to periodically free space in Flash Recovery area, and normally this is done by using RMAN :

$ oerr ora 19809
19809, 00000, "limit exceeded for recovery files"
//*Cause: The limit for recovery files specified by the
// DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE was exceeded.
//*Action:The error is accompanied by 19804. See message 19804 for further
// details.
$ oerr ora 19804
19804, 00000, "cannot reclaim %s bytes disk space from %s limit"
// *Cause: Oracle cannot reclaim disk space of specified bytes from the
// DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE limit.
// *Action: There are five possible solutions:
// 1) Take frequent backup of recovery area using RMAN.
// 2) Consider changing RMAN retention policy.
// 3) Consider changing RMAN archivelog deletion policy.
// 4) Add disk space and increase DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE.
// 5) Delete files from recovery area using RMAN.
So now I changed my DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE from 2G to 4G just to be sure..
Cause I had the space and had no wish to change the retention policy. Tell you the truth, I don't even know what is the default retention policy for Enterprise Edition.

> shutdown

At this point I slapped my forehead and went Duh! - forgot the "immediate".
So I went for a walk around the building..

I had a revelation during the walk - Windows has the Service Manager where I can shut down services explicitly, so I did it. And voila - the server was successfully restarted as it came up automatically.

So now, with 4G of backup space, I started making a full backup - with Enterprise Manager again. Incremental level 0 means it is the basis for level 1 increments - level 0 being the first full backup and Level 1 being the "delta data" from the last Level 0.

RMAN> backup incremental level 0 cumulative device type disk tag '%TAG' database include current controlfile;


Finally if all was successfully completed, I remembered that my db was about 2,3GB so there was no possible way to fit the backup into 2G-s.
Time to slap my forehead again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home